Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal on Monday proclaimed hike minimum wages for workers which he said was the “highest amount” given by any state government in the country.
Earlier this month, the Supreme Court had allowed the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government in the national capital to notify the 37% hike in minimum wages for workers.
AAP Govt comes up with five moves :
1) According to Kejriwal govt, Around 55 lakh workers will benefit from the hike in minimum wages, employees will get a Diwali bonus of one month’s salary and dearness allowance (DA) for the months of April to September.
2) Workers in Delhi will be permitted to get a minimum monthly wage of Rs 13,350 (unskilled), Rs 14,698 (semi-skilled) and Rs 16,182 (skilled), according to the 2017 notification. The revised monthly wage would be Rs 14,842 per month (unskilled), Rs 16,341 (semi-skilled- for clerical and supervisory staff) and Rs 17,991 (skilled).
3) The Delhi government abolished 1,373 contractors so far for not paying minimum wages to their workers. As per the news “AAP govt had run two special drives and booked over 100 employers for violating minimum wage rule. Six contractors were registered under cases of cheating,”
4) 36-member of the committee is formed to discuss regarding the hike in minimum wages, is over and above the revised wages that were notified in 2017.
5) 44 employers’ associations had filed a petition against the government’s previous notification to increase minimum wages. The high court struck down the notification and the AAP government challenged it in the Supreme Court. “ On October 14, the Supreme Court gave an order in favor of the Delhi government and we have notified increased minimum wages,” Kejriwal said.